Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Big Bump on the Head

Today we went to mommy and me and when we got home we were walking in the house from the garage. I came in and held the door open for Taylor while I was turning off the alarm. All of a sudden I heard a thump and delayed whining. I turned around and Taylor was on her hands and knees winding up to scream. I picked her up, just thinking she tripped but immediately saw a huge indentation about 3 inches wide (like a horizontal slice)on her forehead. She had tripped most likely on the rug that lays over the stair and then her head flung forward and hit the metal strip that is at the bottom of the door jam. Ouch!

I immediatly started thinking the worst. I am taking a brain injury class at school and so my mind started to wander. I got her ice pack and opened my textbook to see what part of the brain would be damaged from injuries to the forehead. All my mind kept thinking was "brain injury is the biggest silent epidemic" and "brain injuries aren't identified in children until they are older when the delays are more apparent." The indentation slowly started to go away and the area of impact just turned red and blue. She was acting normal, could walk, count, and do all the things she normally could do. I decided to hold her until the babysitter got here to see how Taylor would react (Taylor LOVES Katherine, the babysitter). When Katherine got here, Taylor immediately said, "Tinker Bell movie with Katherine!" She was fine!

So, I left for work a little while later and Katherine just kept an eye on her throughout the day.

Below is a picture of her battle wound now (not too bad).


Here's Taylor playing at night having so much fun in mommy's heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment