Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Imitating words (mommy's behavioral procedure)

When mommy picked me up from daycare both the executive director and associate director continued to be in amazement at all of the signs I knew. They like showing me off to other parents and all of the staff. At recess they will ask me all of my signs and of course I will do them all for anyone who wants to come and see. I'm like a kid at the circus! Ms. Tina told mommy that I was even imitating things she said at recess. Mommy was very impressed because mommy has been kind of frustrated (in a funny way) that everytime she says "mommy" for me to imitate I just say "daddy." Hehe. So, mommy and I got in the car to leave and I guess since Ms. Tina told mommy that I could imitate words she felt thta she could get me to imitate "mommy" by the time we got home in the car. She tried this new procedure that she's doing at work (yes, I'm always the guinnea pig) where she tells me what to say ("mommy") and then if say anything else other than "mommy" or don't say anything at all she waits a few seconds without correcting me and then says what she wants me to say again ("mommy"). Almost everytime she said "mommy" I said "daddy." Hehe! I think we went through this about 15-20 times and finally I gave in and said "mama". From the front seat I heard lots of cheers and clapping!!! Wow! She said it again ("mommy") and so I did it again, again, and again. I did it so much that when mommy was trying to make a green light she didn't clap for me so I clapped for myself from the backseat. Mommy thought that was funny.

Needless to say, mommy was so excited and proud that she was able to teach me to imitate what she said, all in one trip from daycare to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment